If you were to ever visit my home and see my kitchen, shower or vanity, the one dominating brand you would find in all these places is Patanjali. Starting with atta, besan, oil, ghee, biscuits to soaps, shampoo, hair oil, my family and myself are sold to this brand.
But before you make assumptions about the authenticity of this post, I want to let you know that this is a completely honest post and is NOT sponsored by Patanjali in any way. They probably aren’t even aware that I exist! Also, I want you to keep an open mind while reading this, because lately, there has been a shroud of controversy around the founders for Patanjali but this post is only about products which I have personally used and benefited from.
All products mentioned below are unisex and can be used by people of all genders and ages.
Patanjali is a brand I have been loyal to, for the last many many years. I have always gained from each and every product I have used, be it their toiletries, medicines, groceries or even toothbrushes! Here is why I love this brand so much.
- Ayurvedic – Patanjali products are Ayurvedic. Ever since I can remember, my father always encouraged us to use home remedies and DIY beauty treatments using natural or herbal ingredients and avoid chemicals as much as possible. I still smear mustard oil in my belly button during winters and you can judge me all you want for that but I am the one who NEVER catches a cold! And that is because Ayurveda follows the principal of cure, not treatment. If you approach a disease with Ayurveda, the approach is not just going to treat you and make you feel better, but that disease will be flushed from your system for good. The process, might be lengthy, but patience is a virtue.
- Beneficial – I can only speak for myself but Patanjali products actually deliver what they claim! For example, My hair quality has highly improved and I have lesser grays after using their Kanti Hair Oil! The Aloe Vera Gel that I have been religiously applying for the last one month has been immensely helpful. My skin is much clearer now and I don’t break out often either.
- High Quality yet affordable – Patanjali products are very good quality products and are very affordable as well. Although ever since they have started advertising on national TV and newspapers, they have hiked their prices a tad bit but that still doesn’t pinch as much. India is a remarkable country with a treasure of ancient knowledge and I am glad that Patanjali Ayurveda is bringing this knowledge to every home at affordable prices, unlike many other “luxury ayurveda” brands.
- Easily available– in the last couple of years, I have seen numerous Patanjali outlets open up throughout the city. I have three Patanjali stores in a five km radius of my home!
- Cruelty free – Patanjali does not test on animals and their manufacturing process is very holistic and hygienic as has been stated in numerous documentaries and factory tours released on national TV.
- MADE IN INDIA !!!
This is my list of 5 must use Patanjali toiletries. These are for external use only (barring one which can be consumed as well as applied).
Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel
– Naturally obtained Aloe vera gel is a diverse product and has multiple uses. Because it contains proteolytic enzymes, it has the ability to repair damaged skin cells. You can use it on your scalp to relive itchiness. and its also a great natural conditioner for your hair. Aloe Vera is a natural moisturizer, it prevents wrinkles, has anti oxidant properties, reduces acne and blemishes, and also helps dark circles go away. It can also be consumed and is great for your stomach. If you have an aloe vera plant in your home, then you should always use it directly from the plant itself. Otherwise you can use the Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel for your face and hair. Priced at INR 75 for 150 ml, It contains 90% Aloe Vera gel, while the rest is formed by Vitamin E, permitted color and scents. The instructions at the back say it is helpful for treating hairfall, dandruff, promotes hair growth, removes dark spots from the skin, improves skin quality and glow. This is an indispensable part of my night time skin care routine and it makes my skin feel very soft and supple in the morning. My acne scars have been visibly reduced as well.
2. Patanjali Kesh kanti Tel –
The kesh kanti tel contains about 20 ayurvedic herbs like bhringraj, ghritkumari, neem, mehendi, amla, bramhi, giloy, etc which have amazing hair benefits. The oil claims to strengthen roots, prevent hair fall, split ends and graying of hair. I have premature graying of hair and I have seen positive results in just two months. Recently, after moving into my new home, I was experiencing a lot of hair fall, due to the the monsoon season and also because the water here has a higher amount of iron than my last home. I started using this oil every alternate day and my hair fall considerably reduced which I am glad about. It doesn’t smell nice, but not bad either.
3. Patanjali Badam Rogan – Pure Almond Oil –
This is one product which can be topically applied and consumed as well. Almond oil is again a great product for hair, but during winters, it helps immensely when you want to keep your body warm and immune to seasonal changes and cold. Just add four or five drops of the Badam Rogan to your glass of milk or tea, and drink it every day. You will notice a significant amount of improvement in the immunity of your body. It is a boon to chapped lips so if you want nice, luscious and moisturized lips, a single drop of this oil twice a day massaged onto your lips is enough. It adds great bounce and shine to your hair as well. Massage the oil into your roots and hair and wrap a hot towel around your head or take steam. Shampoo after half an hour and viola! Your DIY at home spa is done! Price – INR 110 for 60 ml
4. Patanjali Multani Mitti Soap –
This is my most favorite soap in the world. Period. It smells really nice and refreshing and the best part is, it is a scrubbing soap. In the very first use, you will be able to feel tiny particles throughout the surface of the soap which when you rub on your body, help in removing dead skin cells. I use this soap religiously and have never experienced dry, dead skin patches or any of those problems ever since I started using this. It contains neem, tulsi, bhringraj, aloe vera and camphor. These ingredients are known for their skin benefits and the camphor has a very soothing and mildly cooling effect along with keeping body odor at bay. This soap smells and feels really luxurious on the skin but is priced at only INR 35 for 75 gms.
5. Patanjali Dant Kanti Tooth Paste –
This toothpaste is a miracle. Of course it has all the properties of being a great toothpaste and does everything from making your teeth stronger, improving gum health, killing germs, etc. Using it everyday will make you gums stop bleeding, your breath will be better and the health of your teeth will improve. But did you know that the Dant Kanti is also a great treatment for acne and pimples?! I had read about toothpaste (the white toothpastes like Colgate) being able to reduce pimples in case of emergencies in a number of places because they contain baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and triclosan which cleanse the skin, have anti bacterial properties and dry out pimples. But they also tend to dry out skin if over used. The Dant Kanti however contains certain ingredients which are used in Ayurveda to treat acne and pimples like Laung (clove) Neem and Haldi. There was a time when I was breaking out a lot and would use this regularly on my pimples by spot applying it overnight and believe me, the size of my pimple would be reduced by half in the morning! It also treats acne scars! And it does not damage your skin or dry it out. Just make sure to use only as much as is required on the pimple spot.
This post is NOT sponsored